Monday, January 3, 2011

Some days are just like that...

Today was the first day back from Christmas break.  No kids today, which was nice.  It was, however, one of those days where you have so much to do that you don't get anything done.  I made copies, got my books ready for my Reading Recovery kids, filed miscellaneous papers...so I was busy, but at the end of the day I just didn't feel as though I accomplished much.  Why is that?  One of life's questions without an answer I suppose.

After school I met my husband at the gym.  I was frustrated from my lack (real or perceived) of productivity and eager to take it out on the elliptical.  It didn't happen.  Ten minutes into my 45 minute workout I was hurting.  My legs burned and I was gasping for air.  I pushed through and finished my workout, but it was not easy.  My day was not turning out so great. I left the gym feeling dejected and ready for bed!

We live an hour from school and the gym, so I had a long drive to put things back into perspective.  Matt and I carpool, so I was lucky enough to lay my head back and gaze out at the stars and unwind.  I thought about my day, and really, it was not so bad.  Last night I made cookies and granola bars to bring to my teacher friends as a welcome back.  They were grateful (and raved about the granola) and it was so nice to sit for a few moments in the teacher's lounge and share our stories from Christmas break. Later I went to lunch with a coworker and we had a nice chat.  This afternoon, when sorting through a stack of long-forgotten papers,  I came across a poem one of my special education students had written for me and I pinned it up on the wall.  I re-read the Christmas cards I received before break that had somehow not made it home.  Hmmmm....

It turns out, it was a good day.  Sometimes work is not work at all.  Sometimes it is less about how many files you file, or how great your lesson plans are, and more about the connections you make and the relationships you build.

Tomorrow the kids come.  I am ready.  It's going to be a great day!

Tonight was a beer night (Heineken, from my kitchen Kegerator)!

~Cab Lover

No comments:

Post a Comment