Monday, January 24, 2011

Hugs, please...

It's Monday.  I woke up feeling worse than I had all weekend.  The hope that my cold would be gone this morning quickly faded as  my throat was completely engulfed in flames by 7:00 a.m.  I went to work anyway.  No voice.  Looking like death.  Tired.  And sad that my husband was leaving today on short business trip.  Still, I had lots to do today and I truly was excited to implement some of the cool things I learned at our professional development last week.  Really, the day could only get better from where I sat.

Not so fast.  As I sat at the light near my school, my cell phone rang.  It was my dear husband...a not-so-happy dear husband.  He was calling to tell me about an 'issue' with our two 16 year-old daughters.  He was upset.  Really upset.  And he was on his way to my work so that we could talk about it.  This can't be good...

I know this is technically a 'teacher' blog.  But I find that at times teaching and parenting are much the same.  Challenging, yet rewarding.  Heartbreaking, yet joyful.  Frustrating, yet blissful.  Confusing, yet enlightening.  And unfortunately, at times, just brutal.  Painfully brutal.  Today was one of those days.

I ended up leaving work with Matt so that we could take care of our family.  Together, as a team.  A united front.  After a good deal of silence, some yelling, and lots of crying, I laid down for a nap.  Needless to say my throat was now throbbing.  My eyes were swollen and my nose could put Rudolf to shame.  When I woke from my short respite, I felt a little better.  Physically and emotionally.  I started to think again about how teaching and parenting are alike.  You try something.  It doesn't work.  You make adjustments.  You progress monitor.  You make  more adjustments.  You celebrate the small gains as well as the big ones.  You go back the next day.  And the next.  So, I will get up tomorrow and get right back at it!

Comfort
I am blessed with a wonderful family.  I work with amazing people.  I am a good teacher and a great mom.  Sometimes, I just need to remind myself of that.  Sometimes, I just need someone to tell me. Sometimes, I just need a hug.

Just hot tea tonight (Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Tea)

~Cab Love

6 comments:

  1. Oh Boo. Thank you for the reminder though. "You try something. It doesn't work. You make adjustments. You progress monitor. You make more adjustments. You celebrate the small gains as well as the big ones. You go back the next day. And the next." Giving up is never an option and nothing works the first time every time. You ARE a great teacher, and I know you are a great mom and Matt is a great dad. Hang in there friend and get some sleep time indeed. Things always look brighter in the sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *HUG!* I hope everything gets better! I found you on Bloggy Moms and LOVE your blog.

    Brea
    www.becomingbrea.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) Hugs :) to you. Sometimes we all just need that hug, no words, just the hug. I'm from Bloggy Moms too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brea and Karen!

    Thanks for the *HUGS* Feeling better already! Make sure to 'grab my button' and I will do the same for you! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete