Thursday, December 30, 2010

New Beginnings



I work at a school that is on a 'modified' calendar, so I am fortunate enough to have several two-week breaks throughout the year.  It's a perfect amount of time...just enough to wind down and have fun before gearing back up again.  As my Christmas break draws to a close, I am relaxing with a cup of coffee (it's too early for a glass of wine) and reflecting on the last two weeks.  Christmas break this year has not disappointed. 

I am beginning 2011 with two new hobbies:  baking and snow-shoeing.  My husband and I were lucky enough to have the entire break off together, and were able to enjoy these new hobbies with one another!  We traveled to Grand Lake to visit my folks, and brought with us several dozen cookies.  My mom, an incredible baker, admitted that she expected my baked treats to be 'okay'.  They were better than okay.  In fact, she said, they surpass hers!  I was thrilled.  Her compliment boosted my confidence tenfold.  Silly?  Maybe. But nonetheless thrilling!  My baking plans for the few remaining days of break include Hot Pockets, pastys, apple turnovers (Matt's project), and Pecan Sandies. The weather is perfect for baking.  Baking and, cross your fingers, snow-shoeing.

As I type, the approaching storm is beginning to spit white flakes and the wind is picking up.  The forecast is calling for 5-10 inches.  I am hopeful, but not convinced!  Hopeful so that we might go snowshoeing in our own backyard.  This new hobby has me feeling energized and, well, healthier!  We had an incredible time of it yesterday.  It was a chilly 20 degrees in Grand Lake and light snow accompanied us on our four mile journey.  It was perfect; peaceful and pristine.  We trekked to a closed campground and had our Powerbar on a picnic table topped with 2 feet of snow.  As we made our way back, I found my pace slowing.  Not because I was tired or sore, but because I didn't want the day to end. The woods were quiet.  The trees were powdered with snowflakes.  We breathed in the crisp mountain air and were fulfilled.   When we reached the end of the trail, I felt an overwhelming sense of accomplishment.  Much like with the baking. 

Normally, I mourn the end of a break.  But this break, perhaps more than any other, has been a Godsend.  I have found new things I love and am excited to share and grow in these things in the year ahead.  Two hobbies that make me feel good, inside and out.  And while I would be lying if I said I can't wait to get back to work, I certainly am not dreading it.

Here's to new beginnings!

It's almost noon now, so I will indulge in a glass of wine soon (Maybe I'll try something other than Cab...but probably not)!

~Cab Lover

4 comments:

  1. You bring the fun TO LIFE! Thanks so much!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so enjoying your blog! Who knew you were so talented! I have to say, that although I too enjoy the finer things in life, our recent budget restrictions have encouraged me to find an acceptable, shall we say, less expensive glass of wine! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Dana! I don't know about talented, but I'm having a great time. I hear you about the budget...and I'm really not a wine snob. We get some great deals by belonging to wine clubs!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete