Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Teaching is just plain hard...

Today is Tuesday.  I thought it was Wednesday...all day I thought it was Wednesday.  The snow day, although a true and absolute blessing, left me a bit confused today.  I forgot about a meeting, and was going to the wrong room, for the wrong kiddo, at the wrong time.  In spite of all this, it was a good day.  Except for one huge blow...

Most teachers, I truly believe, have a heart for teaching.  It's not a job.  It's not work.  It's just what we do.  It's what we know.  It's a belief system and a passion.  I believe that Renaissance, where I have been for 5 years, is the epitome of great teaching!  We have the best of the best. 

At Renaissance, as I'm sure is true for your school, we work tirelessly to meet the needs of each student.  And we do a darn good job.  Our parents are amazing and we are usually on the same page.  But sometimes we aren't.  So what do you do when you don't see eye to eye?  What can we do  when we believe we know what is best for a child and the parent just doesn't see it the same way?  What can we do when a parent makes a choice that we feel will be detrimental to their child's education.

Nothing.  There is nothing we can do.  And it is not a good feeling.  It leaves a bad taste in our mouths.  It hurts.  It is frightening.  But, we must not blame ourselves.  We must not blame the parents.  We must come to work again tomorrow, and do what we do best.  Teach. Learn. Love.

Teaching is just plain hard sometimes...

(No wine tonight...Sprite, Lemon Lime Soda)
~Cab Lover

5 comments:

  1. Sometimes, it's hard for a parent to see something so obvious to others, because they are blinded by love. And and letting go of the fantasy of who their child is, is painful and sometimes impossible. We only see what we are willing to see. And until WE see the truth, the "OTHERS" who see it are the enemy. I have certainly been guilty of this myself.
    You are NOT the enemy. You pour your heart in to each child you work with. Your love and compassion surround you, even at the crosswalk!
    Sleep easy tonight Marcy, you know you did the right things

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heart-wrneching. I wish that people could see you and your 'team' on nights like this. I am so tired of hearing that teachers 'have the summer off' or "too many days off". There is no doubt i my mind that you all give your all- maybe not every teacher - but almost all of the ones I see do.

    All I can ask is - keep at it. Try hard. Find the energy from somewhere within - you really make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - Laurie nailed it. Much love to you - the amazing person who is helping to transform my son, and his life, each day bit by bit. You are a blessing, and we love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen what you put into your work, and it is truly a lifestyle with you. I've been inspired by all of the great teachers you've introduced me to! Even if it doesn't pay off now, someday that child will remember you as the one person who pushed them to be who they could be. I know dealing with the parents is the hard part, but keep your chin up! You can always make fun of them later ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...thanks Laurie, Matt, Shauna and Jess, for all of your support! You are the best and your words mean more to me than you can ever know.

    Love ya all!!!

    ReplyDelete