Sunday, January 9, 2011

Let the Dancing Begin...

Let the dancing begin...the snow dance that is.  It's Sunday evening and a frigid 18 degrees outside!  The forecast is calling for even lower temperatures tonight and snow accumulations between 5 and 10 inches.  Yes, inches!

If you are a teacher, or student for that matter, you know the drill.  Everyone gets up and does the snow dance!  The 'snow so much we have a snow day dance'!  As I'm writing this, I have 5 more windows open so that I can switch back and forth to see the forecast, current conditions, and school closings!  It's not that I don't want to go to school, necessarily...but there is something divine about a snow day.  It's like a forbidden treat.  An unexpected pleasure.  And I'm not the only one dancing and crossing my fingers, I know that for sure.

A few hours ago I was on facebook...and so were most of my colleagues.  I'm sure I don't have to tell you what the topic of conversation was.  Yep.  Snow day!!!  There were bets being made and forecasts from numerous television stations being compared and critiqued.  I even called my son, who lives near my school, to see how much snow there was so far.  I cannot share his words exactly, suffice to say, there is a lot.  Six to eight inches already.

There are inherent dangers to doing the snow dance.  Aside from possible physical injury (for those who REALLY get their groove on), there is the risk that school, in fact, will remain open. Not to mention the whole barometric pressure thing...(see post from Jan. 12th)!  The initial letdown is pretty tough.  But not because we have to work...at least that's not why for me.  It's just feels like someone ruined my surprise party...and all the plans I made for those precious 8-10 hours!  OH, think of the baking, reading, snowshoeing, tweeting, chatting, wine drinking (insert your vice here) I could do in 10 glorious hours.  Well, you get the picture.  So, help a fellow teacher (mother, blogger, etc) out...and get up and dance.  Dance until you're dizzy.  I will return the favor someday.

It's so cold tonight I can't even drink wine, but... (Mexican Hot Chocolate with a generous splash of Kahlua).

Stay warm,

~Cab Lover

2 comments: