Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Raring to go!!!

So, I would be lying if I said I haven't absolutely, completely, emphatically enjoyed having TWO (yes, TWO) snow days in a row!  I was able to edit and organize photos from a maternity shoot Matt and I did on Sunday.  I blogged, Tweeted, read, and basically just hung out!  You might not believe me (or you might just think I'm nuts) when I tell you that I am raring to get back to school tomorrow.  I have so much to do.  I have kids to teach!

Tomorrow, I start 'Roaming' with my new Reading Recovery students.  Roaming is one of my favorite things about Reading Recovery.  I get to spend 10 days (lessons) just getting to know the kids.  I get to learn what they know~what they can do as readers.  We spend this time building a relationship so that the environment is ripe for learning!  It is a glorious time. 

The hardest part about Roaming is that I can't actually 'teach'.  That is hard. Our time together is strictly meant for 'roaming the known'.  It is designed for me to see what reading behaviors the children have in place.  Teaching is forbidden.  Seriously.  I cannot introduce any new learning.  That is much harder than is sounds!  And, truthfully, I blow it sometimes.  After all, teachers are experts (hopefully) at seizing a teachable moment.  Not so during Roaming.

After two wonderful days of rest, I am raring to go.  I have a brand new writing book for each student.  The alphabet books are bound and ready to go.  A new roll of white tape is waiting.  I'm excited.  I'm anxious.  I'm hopeful.  

I'm raring to help these struggling readers make sense of that mysterious printed code that awaits them.  I'm raring to help them see how truly smart they are.  I'm raring to boost their confidence.  I'm raring to see that sparkle in their eyes when they have that glorious ah-ha!

Yep, I can't wait for school tomorrow!

Cracked open a REALLY yummy bottle of wine tonight.  The first glass of wine in a few weeks (Kendall Jackson ~ Highland Estates ~ Napa Mountain Cabernet, 2006)!

~Cab Lover

No comments:

Post a Comment