Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Chrismas Break Miracle...


I don't know what it is about this Christmas...but I have already opened all my gifts!  I'm not disappointed, and I'm not worried about feeling melancholy on Christmas morning because I have nothing to open.  In fact, I have had the best time this past week with my gift!  For teachers, Christmas break (or any break for that matter) is a SACRED time!  For me, it is a time of rejuvenation...a sort of renewal if you will.  I try not to plan too much, but I also don't want to sit around and waste away.  I want to savor every day, every hour, every minute.  So far...I have!

This year something special happened...my husband bought me a KitchenAid mixer!!!  I have wanted a KitchenAid for as long as I can remember.  My mom had a KitchenAid.  It was yellow...and beautiful...and magical.  Now I have one of my very own!

I am not a baker.  I try.  And try.  But I just can't do it.  That is, until last Friday.  We had planned to get 'the mixer' after I was done with school for the day.  I was rife with anticipation all day long.

After school I met my husband and we drove to Sam's.  I was giddy, like a little girl.  We found our way to the small appliances and I could barely stand it.  So many choices!  Who would have thought that there could be so many colors to choose from.  Red, black, stainless steel, black with stainless steel. I really wanted the red one.  It was gorgeous, but red wouldn't match out kitchen decor.  I'm not much of a Martha Stewart...but still.  I went back and forth, debating with myself about the color...but I just had to have the red one.  I put it in our buggy and skipped down the isle.  Off to the baking goods.

By the time we were done I not only had the most beautiful mixer in the world,  I had new baking sheets, fresh baking ingredients, and crispy, white aprons!  I was ready!  It wasn't until I got home that I remembered that I was terrible at baking...

Armed with the magical mixer, delicious Ghirardelli chocolate, and garbed in my new apron, I set out to  prove something to myself (and to those who have had to eat my cookies).  And guess what?  A miracle happened!  My cookies turned out perfect!  Golden, chewy, sugary goodness!  I made chocolate chip cookies; peanut butter cookies; oatmeal and chocolate chip cookies with cranberries; sugar cookies; fudge; macaroons, chocolate sandwich cookies with chocolate malt filling, Snicker doodles; and...Russian Tea Cakes.  Whew!  I have baked everyday, all day, since last Friday.  And I have LOVED every minute of it (I do have a weird soreness in my feet and back...).

I'm convinced that it's the KitchenAid.  It really is magical.  It has to be.  After all, I have not changed.  I have not had cooking lessons, or spent hours in front of the T.V. watching the Food Network.  It must be 'the mixer'.  That beautiful apple-red appliance that has a new home on my kitchen counter has brought me a week of joy.  A week of rejuvenation and renewal.  For the first time in many, many years I have taken plates of cookies to my country neighbors.  I spent an hour talking on one neighbor's couch...we have not talked like that in years...

Yep, it's a miracle.  And just in time for Christmas!

It turns out...wine and baking are a great mix (Sonoma County Korbel Cabernet, 2007)

~Cab Lover

No comments:

Post a Comment