Saturday, February 26, 2011

Food for thought...

Last night Matt and I watched Waiting for Superman, a documentary by Davis Guggenheim...wow, heavy stuff! Davis takes an in depth look at the state of public education and the affect it is having on our children.  As a mom and a teacher, I found Guggenheim's message to be both powerful and unsettling!  Education reform is nothing new, a fact that is pointed out many times throughout this film.  Yet in spite of the valiant efforts of so many, very little has changed.    Our reading and math proficiency rates are low, and the high school drop out rates are staggering, especially in lower socioeconomic areas.  So, what gives?

The film begs the question, for me at least, what can be done?  What systemic changes need to take place to bring about positive outcomes?  What about vouchers...schools of choice...private schools?  What about teachers who don't, or can't teach?

I have to be honest here~so much of this film resonated with me.  I have seen first hand the difference good teaching makes.  I work with some master teachers who strive on a daily basis to improve the lives of our learners.  I have also worked with teachers who lack the skill, talent, and desire to be great.  And great is what it takes.

What Guggenheim posits is that wherever you find good education, you will find good teachers...and that bad education is a result of bad teachers!  For some crazy reason that defies all logic (in my opinion), bad teachers are untouchable.  Bad teachers are protected.  In fact, in NYC 600 'bad' teachers are paid to go to 'work' (they sit in a room for 8 hours because they cannot be trusted with our children) and collect their salary, which equals approximately $100 MILLION each year!  Are you kidding me!!!???

I wish I had the answer.  I don't.  But I know we cannot stop searching for a better way.  We just can't! What we are doing is not working...

Food for thought...(and I would love to know your thoughts~please share via comments or email)!

~Cab Lover

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you! I've had both good and bad teachers, and honestly it's the good teachers who have resonated with me. I remember what I've learned from those who show passion and skill. The bad teachers, well they didn't contribute to my education or my memory of school. I hope everyone who has had a bad teacher is less affected by them than they are from the good teachers. That said, I also think it's ridiculous to protect bad teachers! You wouldn't take your child to a bad doctor, why trust a bad teacher with their education?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica,

    Thanks for your comments and opinion! I love good, healthy discourse. Your doctor analogy was great and so true. Thanks for reading my blog and engaging in conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your post about the importance of good teachers and have had experiences with both good and bad. I also believe education begins in the home. Many parents and students feel it's all on the shoulders of the teachers while the families and kids are not held accountable. Teachers have to deal with behavior problems that are completely unacceptable and they really have no power to stop unruly children. No wonder so many are burnt out!

    I'm a new follower from bloggymoms.com and can't wait to chat more!

    Tracy
    www.lessthanperfectparents.com

    ReplyDelete